If you missed the professional development session with Jay Palter on October 21, you missed an entertaining and informative presentation, entitled "21 LinkedIn Strategies and Tactics to Grow Your Personal Brand". Jay has provided a link to the full presentation, but in the meantime, take a few minutes to read our condensed version of the top five LinkedIn strategies you need to know if you want your personal brand to shine.
1. Your profile is your brand… and your brand is you.
Make a great first impression by:
- Including a professional photo of only your smiling face (no pets, kids, etc.).
- Keeping in mind that your photo is your logo.
- rafting a professional headline of six to 10 words that say what you do. For example, Jay’s is "Social Strategist, Coach, Speaker and Chief Engagement Officer".
- Using relevant, targeted keywords and phrases in the summary section.
- Customizing your URL.
- Adding multimedia.
- Editing your endorsement settings.
- Reordering profile sections so it’s what you need it to be and not just an online resumé.
2. Connect with people you know.
Since your first-degree connections are given access to the primary email listed in LinkedIn, it’s best to connect with people you’ve met in person and ignore the rest (especially if they are geographic outliers).
Here are some tips to remember when inviting people to connect or accepting an invitation:
- Follow up within 24 hours.
- Customize your message.
- Be personable and friendly.
3. Be the go-to person in your network.
Jay has this to say about sharing content: “There’s so much information in the world that people get information overload. But what they do is, if they see someone they’re familiar who is sharing stuff and has a reputation for sharing good quality things, they’ll pay attention to that person and what that person is sharing,” says Palter. “You want to be that person. You want to be a person who’s a go-to person in your network for good quality content.”
Good quality content will focus on:
4. Use LinkedIn’s publishing platform.
Get noticed by your network by writing long-form posts on LinkedIn’s publishing platform. Although this feature is not available to everyone currently, LinkedIn has promised to make it available to all members in the near future. In the meantime, you’ll know if you’re one of the chosen few if you see a pencil icon in the share box at the top of your homepage. Jay gives some tips for LinkedIn publishing here.
This is definitely the most important strategy. As Jay says, “If you are nice, generous and kind to people, they’ll be the same back to you.” What better way grow your personal brand.
Five ways you can give to your network are:
- Giving back and paying it forward.
- Paying attention.
- Being generous with likes, comments and shares.
- Investing time.
- Reading and sharing.
- Helping others.
About Jay Palter
In addition to being a social strategist, coach and speaker, Jay Palter is the Chief Engagement Officer at Jay Palter Social Advisory. Visit his website for more information. You can also read his recent interview with Alberta Venture’s Allison Myggland.