IABC Edmonton is proud to support the new Global Communication Certification Council (GCCC) certification program by offering communication professionals from mid-to- senior levels the opportunity to be certified right here in Edmonton.
The certification program honours the history of the Accredited Business Communicator (ABC) designation by involving several ABCs in its development and vision. This new certification is another step in the maturity of the communications profession. It provides professional communicators with the opportunity for recognition from an ISO standard program with integrity based on a global standard of communication credentials.
The certification is open to IABC members and non-members with exams offered once a year in Edmonton, and re-certification required every year. Re-certification is obtained by ongoing professional development. IABC Edmonton is pleased to offer many opportunities throughout the year that count towards certification credits.
The entire certification program has four career levels of certification, of which currently, only the Communications Management Professional (CMP) and Strategic Communications Management Professional certification are currently available.
Communications Management Professional (CMP) - For generalists, specialists and other business communicators established in their careers as managers and looking to demonstrate their competence.
Strategic Communications Management Professional - For highly skilled business communicators practiced in providing strategic communications advice and counseling to an organization’s leadership.
For more information on the levels and certification, or to check upcoming exam dates, visit the Global Communication Certification Council (GCCC) website.
What’s the value in becoming certified?
Obtaining annual verification of your current knowledge and experience in the six core competencies of a communications professional’s job from an independent, international body is a credential which you can use to:
- Elevate your career and enhance your chances of getting a “seat at the table”.
- Give structure to keeping your skills fresh and applicable as an opportunity for life-long learning.
- Increase your chances of obtaining your next communications job.
- Officially prove that you demonstrate the skills and knowledge of a communications professional at a specific career level based on a global standard for the profession.
- Ease your ability to move internationally in the communications profession or support your alignment with diverse, cross-cultural communications work. The CMP process begins with an application, followed by a three-hour, 100 question multiple-choice examination and annual requirements for professional development to retain certification.
Upcoming Exam Dates
IABC Edmonton will be hosting exams for the Communication Management Professional (CMP) and Strategic Communication Management Professional certifications in Edmonton on April 7, 2018.
Interested in taking one of the exams? Here’s what you need to know:
- Review the Candidate Handbook to ensure that you meet the requirements to apply to take the exam.
- If you meet the requirements, visit the IABC website to begin the exam application process.
- The deadline to submit applications to sit for the exams is March 7, 2018.
- Once your application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive a link to register for the exam.
- Once you’ve received the link, you must register by March 23, 2018 to sit for the Edmonton hosted exam on April 7.
- Due to space restrictions, only 20 candidates will be able to complete the exam at this sitting.
You can learn more about the certification exams on the IABC website, including a listing of exam sites and dates. If you have any questions, contact Carmen Palamarchuk.